Sunday, March 20, 2011

3.1415926....

March 14. 3.14. Pi day. How to celebrate other than with pie? I hosted an open pi day with friends and family where pie was served, all day. At the end of it, I was absolutely exhausted, but it was so much fun, and everyone pitched in! Here are a few pictures of the event...

I posted this on my front door for those who hadn't been to my house before to let them know they arrived at the right place

Rolling crust... I made enough for about 15 pies, which was too much


Pumpkin, courtesy of my friend Denise, and an apple pie with a brown sugar crust

Blueberry! Notice the fine lattice work, done by my cousin Anthony

Spinach pie for lunch (couldn't have dessert all day). It was a hit! the first pie to be finished in its entirety

Banana creme pie. The bananas look strange after coming out of the oven, but really really delicious. And I don't even like banana creme!

A glamour shot of the lemon meringue

Another glamour shot of the lemon meringue




My famous red wine apple pie! Notice the pi sign I carved into the top!

Red Wine Apple Pie
Pie Crust
-2 cups flour
-1 teaspoon salt
-5/8 cup shortening
-Some water and extra flour
Mix ingredients together, forming a ball. Separate into two equal halves. Roll out to fit 9” pie tin: One half for the base, other half for the top crust.
Filling
4 Apples
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/3 cup water
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup red wine
Peel, core and finely chop the apples. Toss with the sugar, flour, spices, wine, water and lemon juice. Fill the pie with the fruit mixture and cover with the top half of the crust. Bake for 1 hour at 350° F



I hope you all enjoyed pi day!

3 comments:

  1. i love, love, love this idea. I might have to steal it from you next year! all of the pies look amaaaazing. especially the blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is making me hungry :) I love pi(e). One of my friends had her students make a chain of numbers after the decimal place of pi and it was as long as the front of the school. Could be a cool craft of decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fun! I love baking but I have yet to make any pies from scratch because the crust scares me, but you made 15 and I'm super impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips