Monday, January 16, 2012

Simple DIY Gift

I wanted to start 2012 with a simple DIY idea that requires few materials and just a little bit of time.  I’ve mentioned my friend Michelle before.  She is a creative genius and constantly gives me thoughtful, handmade presents.  So, there is a lot of pressure to return the favor…

Lately, I have seen lots of personalized hangers (they are all over wedding blogs).  I set out to make a personalized hanger, more for decoration and less for hanging clothes (the type of wire I had was a little rough, so not ideal for clothes).  I luckily already had the materials on hand (with the help of my fiancé).  You will need:

IMG_5282

--a hanger
--pliers or something to bend wire
--wire (the fiancé had this in the garage.  Next time, I would consider a thinner, easier to bend type)

Use the hanger as a comparison to mold the hanger.

IMG_5283

Start shaping the bottom.  I used her name, but I think some type of design would be wonderful as well (next time, I’m thinking tree outlines).

IMG_5284

The wire I had wasn’t quite as bendable as I would have hoped, so her name didn’t turn out quite as I had hoped, but I was still pretty happy with the end product.

image

Perfect as a wall hanging for a closet or bathroom or bedroom or wherever!  I also think it would be a cute wall hanging for dangly earrings.  Michelle is so imaginative, so I’m guessing she’ll put it to some creative use. 

It’s simple, quick, and easy to personalize, making it a wonderful gift.  Some places we like to frequent.

  image

 

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Isn't that Neat... I love it and to think of ALL the wire hangers I have Thrown OUT!!! eeeekkk... Great idea..
    http://shoprubyjean.com/2012/01/sew-crafty-tuesday-6-and-giveaway/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute would this be in your kid's closet? Great job! Though it must have taken quite the muscle!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips